Sunday, June 2, 2013

Recipe #3 - Paleo Pancakes & Waffles

Paleo Pancakes. It sounds like an oxmoron, but I actually found a really good recipe on Nom Nom Paleo (my new favorite paleo cooking website) and decided to try it.

Nom Nom Paleo - Cinnamon and Coconut Pancakes

I found the batter to be a little thick and I added 1/8 c. of water.

I cooked them, and of course, I burned the first batch. This is not a paleo thing, this is a Wendy thing, I always burn the first batch. I'm much better with making waffles.

This started me thinking (I can already hear my husband's voice in my mind saying 'oh crap'). You typically just add oil to pancake batter to make regular waffles. So I plugged in the waffle iron and started mixing.

This is the recipe as I made it.

Banana, Coconut and Cinnamon Waffles

Wet Ingredients
1/2 banana, mashed (I did this in the bowl with a fork)
3 tbsp. coconut milk
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. real vanilla
1/8 c. water
2 tbsp. olive oil (or other paleo oil, I used what I had on hand)

Dry Ingredients
1 1/2 tbsp. Bob's Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 Pinch of salt

For Cooking on the Waffle Iron
Cooking Spray (I found coconut oil cooking spray at the store)
or if you don't want to use cooking spray, you can grease the waffle iron with olive oil, or ghee or whatever oil you prefer.

This gave me almost three 4-inch square waffles.

Mix your wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls while you wait for the waffle iron to heat up. Once the waffle iron is hot, then mix the wet and dry ingredients together, use cooking spray on the waffle iron and then pour the batter in. Traditionally I would use regular cooking spray on the waffle iron, but since that kind of oil is not paleo, I did find coconut oil cooking spray to use at the grocery store.

Mix wet and dry ingredients separately.

Pour the batter in the waffle iron and cook. Waffles are done when the steam stops coming out of the sides of the waffle iron.

If you look at the back splash in front of the cord you can kind of see the steam coming out of the waffle maker.
I found that when the waffles were done, they were not crisp, but they did hold their shape.


I ate 2 of the waffles with some of my Almond Butter that I made in a previous post and they tasted very good.

I fed a non-burned pancake to my non-paleo (yet supportive) husband who said 'banana pancake, that's good.' Since we have a winner with him, I have decided to post the recipe up for those who want to follow it. Happy Cooking!









No comments:

Post a Comment