Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Recipe #1 - Paleo Bread (Coconut Flour and Flax)

My first attempt at Paleo cooking is to make some bread. I searched the internet for a bread recipe and quickly found that most of the recipes contained almond flour. Since the hubby has a 'sensitivity' to tree nuts, I looked for an alternative to almond flour, and found a recipe that used coconut flour and flax instead.

The reviews for the recipe were all very positive.

I think that I did something wrong.

The only thing I did differently is using flax meal instead of 'flax seeds, ground'. The recipe said that the 'batter will be thick" and that you should 'pour' the batter into the loaf pan. I found that the batter being thick was an understatement as the dough landed with a solid THUNK into the pan.


I patted the 'batter' out as best as I could, although it was thicker than any peanut butter cookie dough that I have ever seen.


I baked the bread, and the result was a dense loaf that looked just like what I had put into the oven, only dry.

I was going to wait until tomorrow to try the bread, but my husband encouraged me to try a slice, so I decided what the heck I should probably taste it.


One of the premises of Paleo cooking is that you don't use processed foods or dairy. If you had to put a spread on the bread, it could be some cashew butter, or at the very least real butter. What did my husband get out of the fridge? Country Crock... Since he was so excited to try this paleo bread, I let him take the first bite (sans any spread). He chewed and chewed and chewed, then he made some sound that indicated to me that his mouth was very dry, so he washed his paleo bread down with some Diet Coke and then put the country crock on the rest of his piece and choked it down. He is so supportive.

I took a bite sans spread with much the same result as my husband had, although I had the foresight to get a very tall glass of water to wash it down with. Then I put the country crock on my bread and choked it down.

Once my husband was able to speak again, he asked me if this was a recipe for lembas bread and if one bite of this could sustain a man for a week. I gave him a dirty look. Did I mention that I have a very supportive husband?

Then I cut a slice and broke it into 3 and gave a piece to each of our three dogs. They scarfed it down and they had tails wagging for more. I guess that this recipe is slightly moister than a dog biscuit. My first paleo bread is now in the fridge and will be used as dog treats and I will keep searching for a new recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment